Monday, May 14, 2007

1

My thumb hit the “unlock” button on my remote keypad as I walked through the parking garage. Thank goodness I remembered I had an extra t-shirt in my gym bag. My white Lexus 4-door sedan came into view. What a beautiful gift my parents had given me for my birthday last year. It sure took the pain out of turning twenty-six.

I always meant to keep it clean, but somehow life’s busy-ness always kept a sparkling, immaculate car just out of my reach. Opening the car door, I dug through the McDonald’s bags scattered on the back seat. I know I left that gym bag in here somewhere. Back when I promised myself I was going to hit that gym and work out four times a week. Back when I vowed I’d get into that two-piece bathing suit in time to wear it at the beach. Back when I got on Weight Watcher’s and swore off McDonald’s.

Eureka! I found the bag stuffed under the front seat. I’ll just change into it here. Nobody will notice me in this dark garage. I crawled into the back seat, kicking the dead soldiers of Dr. Pepper cans out of my way.

Just as I finished unbuttoning the last button on my blouse, I heard footsteps. Not just one set, but at least two. I could hear them talking loudly. When I heard the laugh I cringed. I’d know that laugh anywhere.

No comments: