Tuesday, May 22, 2007

2

Ok. I had two options. One, I could try to button up my blouse as quickly as possible and try changing in the bathroom instead. Or two, I could still try slipping into the t-shirt and hope that no one noticed me. Of course, either way I’d still have to wait to leave until…

“Deni! I thought that was your car. White with a yellow interior? That’s something only you would have picked.”

Wham! I sat up so fast my head hit the roof. “Marley, hey. What are you doing here? And I didn‘t pick it, my dad…”

“It’s Marlene now.” Her brown eyes glared down at me for a second before switching over to a feline I’ve-got-a-canary look. “And I’m simply showing Kevin around town.” She flashed her bleached white teeth at her companion, who I’d forgotten in the shock of seeing the most manipulative woman on earth standing next to my car. Especially since she was supposed to be doing graduate work in Philadelphia. Marley, I mean, Marlene, slid her perfectly manicured hand under the massive bicep of the man next to her. “He’s new around here.”

“Marle- ene, you’re new around here. How could you be showing anyone around?” I glanced up to see what kind of low-life was hanging around her and froze. He was the most gorgeous man I’d ever seen up close. Somewhere around 6’ tall, medium brown hair that the sun had lightened to a dirty blond in places, sea-green eyes, and the tan and physique of a man who works and plays all day in all kinds of weather. To be perfectly honest, he seemed far too masculine to be hanging out with the likes of Marlene. She always seemed to prefer the pampered rich types, not a man who, gasp, worked for a living. At least he had the decency to look uncomfortable.

Marlene’s grin widened. “You know, Deni, it’s not that I’m not proud of you for experimenting with fashion, but I think I should tell you as a friend, that look doesn’t work for you.”

Horror struck I looked down to realize that I’d just had an entire conversation with my high school rival in front of her gorgeous boyfriend while wearing nothing but my nice slacks and my not-so-nice bra.

Great, I managed to flash two men in one day.

No comments: